1.29.2009

A Phone-ology Narrative?

So in 625, we're writing a Technology Narrative--an interesting concept, really. I normally think of technology as strictly relating to computers, but I'm realizing that's far too narrow a designation. As it happens, two of my earliest technology memories pertain to phones.

Abby was my first best friend . . . we met when I was six and she was five. And even at a young age, I loved to talk to her on the phone. Yes, the phone had one of those spirally cords, and yes, I always walked around the kitchen while I talked, twisting the cord and then untangling it during our long conversations. The funny thing is, when we spent time together, we didn't like each other much; I was too bossy and she was too whiny. But we had great conversations over the phone. (Abby and I have kept in touch, by the way, even though it was thirteen years ago that I moved away from her. In fact, she flew out to Missouri to come to my wedding.)

Anyway, one day--not sure whether I persuaded her to or she decided this of her own will--she put her older brother Clay on the phone. Clay, who was probably ten at the time, much older than my immature seven, was the first boy I ever had a crush on. He was cute, I thought, and nice . . . and after all, he was my best friend's brother. Isn't it natural to want to marry your BFF's brother so you will always be related to her? I still remember that conversation with Clay: it was a little awkward, I think, but he told me goofy jokes that I still remember, like "Who was the shortest person in the Bible? Bildad the Shuhite" and a funny story about his friend's parrot walking around the house like a little old man. It was a great conversation. But obviously I no longer have a crush on him.

I still have Abby's number memorized.


Another memorable phone conversation took place when I was seven, on the same beige phone in the same kitchen. I woke up early that morning to find my grandma in the kitchen making us pancakes.

"Hi Gigi! Uh, where's my mom?"

"She's in the hospital . . . your little baby brother or sister is coming this morning!"

Anxiously awaiting our new sibling, Christine, John, and I could hardly eat our breakfast that morning. We were waiting for the phone call.

Just after 9:00am, the phone rang, and Gigi picked it up. We could hear the excitement in her voice, but I wanted to talk to my parents myself, and I convinced her to let me have the phone.

"Hi!" I said.

"Hey, Hannah," my dad said. "Guess what . . . You have a new baby sister!"

"A sister!" I exclaimed. In the living room, I heard Christine clapping her hands in joy as well as John's disappointed voice: "No, I wanted a boy!"

My dad told me that she was born at 8:44 that morning, that they were all happy and healthy and the baby hadn't even cried yet. Just then, I heard a loud wail in the background, Ally's voice saying hi to me for the first time--over the phone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love talking on the phone; in fact, texting drives me crazy because I feel so disconnected to whomever I'm "talking," but people use it so much that I feel I must deal with it.
My most memorable phone moment actually doesn't include talking on the phone but answering the phone. My parents made me answer the phone saying, "This is Amanda Childress. May I help you?" They thought they were helping my phone etiquette, but it sounded so drone to me, and my grandma EVERY SINGLE TIME would immediately hang up because she thought I was a recording-- I sounded so monotone. Just a little phone tidbit!